Whoa. So I sat down to write today and was kindly told by WordPress that I first registered this blog 4 years ago today. That’s a long time! Adding to that is the fact that I’m a little short of 3 weeks from a whole year of Manic Monday posts. That’s 49 posts as of today! It’s true what they say- it takes a lot of work to form a habit. Today, at almost a year of solid blogging, I still feel that amount of work.
But it’s also been very rewarding. It’s helped me (digitally) meet some great people. I’ve come across some wonderful creatives, thinkers and doers through this community. It has challenged me to keep up my creative efforts, even when they are monstrously unsuccessful (I have a heap of paper and glue sitting in my basement to prove this). It has lead to clients and friends and a way to connect with my family- hey grandma!
Thanks for 4 years of blogging, and your continued readership.
And now, here are some links:
- I love this tip to hide alarm panel covers- or perhaps a thermostat!
- I end up pulling this move every time I find myself in an awkward situation (which is often.)
- Loving the new, simple design over at Hip Hop Side Project! Get it, girl!
- Workspaces of famous creative people are kind of addicting. I’d love to sit down and write in Kelly Wearstler’s office.
- Loving this typographic take on interior design! It might be shouting a bit, but I’d love to do something like this in my space.
- This was a pretty open and honest post about the love/hate relationship freelancers develop with their work. I can see a lot of it in my own back and forth routine!
- I’m really grooving to the layout and presentation of watercolor combined with lace in these wedding invitations! I need to find a girly client to start executing these types of inspiration.
- Dorothy Parker does it again– Clear Writing with Mr. Clarity outlines one of my favorite quotes from the great dame.
This is a little bit long, but I love the idea and happy-go-lucky take on validation in this video! Not to mention the lead dude from Bones, a current obsession of mine. Just something I wanted to share on this a sunny day- get out there and smile!
So last week I had the chance to do a little food photography, and while editing my photos I noticed a funny effect as I flipped back and forth. See how the image seems to take on an almost 3d effect, the plate almost jumping off the screen?
Delicious Happy Hour Mac and Cheese!
Pork Medallions, yum.
These also make me a little dizzy, but kind of a fun effect to keep in mind!
Hello! Happy Monday, my friends.
This weekend passed by in a very relaxed, lazy way that weirdly felt productive. I volunteered with my work for Operation Clean Sweep to clean up my neighborhood on Saturday, and have decided that stickers are not only the lamest way to tag sign posts, but are also really hard to scrape off. On Sunday, I spent a good part of my afternoon sewing a fancy new sweater! I’m pretty happy with the results and feeling possibly too confident in my newly discovered sewing abilities.
Brunch Before Volunteer Day
Sewing Crafternoon Sunday!
Anyway, I’ve sensed a pattern in the links for this week. Here are some ways to waste your Monday.
Books I’ve been wanting to read:
Bites I’ve been wanting to try out in the kitchen:
Projects I’m filing away to tackle at a later date:
Yesterday I got my first taste of Dragon Boat racing.
My company sponsors a team, and I was lucky enough to be shown the ropes by some seasoned rowers! My initial takeaways were these two lessons:
- I am severely lacking in upper body strength.
- I also seem to lack a natural sense of rhythm.
Now, neither of these facts are likely to surprise anyone who knows me. While my teammates were very patient, I couldn’t help but be a little embarrassed by my oar clunking against the boat or my teammates’ oars. It’s pretty obvious when you aren’t rowing in formation.
That being said, it was a terrific workout, a beautiful day, and a pretty great way to bond with colleagues. I’m going to have to give it another shot…just as soon as I’m able to lift my arms above my head again!
Hey there, and happy Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was pretty fantastically relaxing, but as a result also fell pretty short of productive. So here I am, trying to get a running start at a very busy week to come!
I bought a chair this weekend…and found this.
Here are some fun tidbits from the ‘net this last week: